Please consider supporting me by using this Amazon referral link

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Weekly WIP


I'm not getting enough work done during the weekend to justify a stand alone WIP for two days. So instead here's what I have been working on this week!

MG Age 2 Normal

I received this kit as a trade along with a MG Age 1 Spallow from a fellow over on reddit. I've decided to tackle the Age 2 Normal first. Both kits will require some TLC before they're ready for paint.



I have added a few panel lines to the chest and shoulder armor, additionally I used the panel line scriber to carve panels along the edges of some raised surfaces for crisper lines. Finally I went over the kit with sand paper to remove any molding flash.










I think I'm going to give this kit a  Age 2 SP inspired color scheme. But I'll incorporate more grey into the build than the official scheme.

MG Tallgeese

The Tallgeese has been a WIP since it's initial release. I've tried painting it a few times now. But I just couldn't get it to turn out. The paint theme is a variation of the TV version scheme. I've decided to attempt a RG style scheme by incorporating an off white into some areas of the main body.







I've also added a few hand brushed details to the wing binders and other raised surfaces.

MG Qan[t]

So this isn't really a WIP. But this will be the next kit I'm working on.

This is a commission for a client. I will be adding the BTF Full Saber kit to the build.


Monday, November 18, 2013


I don't talk about the shows much. But this scene from Gunpla Build Fighters made my week.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Making the best out of a bad situation

In addition to a spray booth and respirator I use a box vent to ventilate the room I paint in (yes I take it seriously and you should too if you paint! Those fumes are bad news!). Unfortunately the fan fell out of the window today and one of the blades broke off. 


While I'll have to buy another box fan to ventilate the room I discovered that the safety grating on the box fan makes a marvelous part holder for painting! Having already abandoned the old chunk of Styrofoam I had been using this seems like a perfect replacement. 



although this isn't going to be the final configuration it's a good start! 

Monday, November 11, 2013

Gundam Unicorn 03 Phenex work in progress

Ironic that the first kit I start back up with is based on the motif of a phoenix.


What's most surprising about this kit is that the 'wings' don't weigh the kit down or make it back heavy the way many of the SeeD kits are.  



That empty trigger hand looks lonely... the rifle is still in process as it requires additional masking an seam removal.  



I'm somewhat torn if this kit should be topcoated with a satin or gloss coat. The gold looks fantastic right out of the bottle, but the solid parts of the kit would look better with more of a matte finish. 





Saturday, November 9, 2013

I'm back

I intended for this post to come out much earlier. But I've been having 'technical' issues; first with getting my ISP out to hook me up and second actually getting blogger to work on my other computer. (Google, Blogger, YouTube and a few other sites seem oddly slow).


I have a 'spare' bedroom in the apartment that I'm using both as a storage space and as a hobby space.

I gave up using my computer desk as a computer desk, and now it's completely dedicated to gunpla space.


The spray booth I picked up last year fits perfectly on this only IKEA desk. I laid out a large sheet of plastic over a spare chunk of carpet to protect the apartments carpet.


Actual storage space in the apartment is fairly minimal, but there is enough space to stash some kits away.

WIP

I've been busy playing catch up on my back log of commissions. The first kit I'm tackling is the  Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex.

The wild gold color is Gaianotes Star Bright Brass; it's a great vibrant color that couples well with the medium grey of the kit's frame.



Here's a side by side comparison of the molded 'gold' color next to the painted part. It's a night and day difference.



This kit requires a good bit of masking. The Armed Armor DE components of this kit are molded entirely in gold. Any grey you see is the result of careful masking.

Other



The HG Gouf Custom is the final kit I was going to enter into GBWC, but due to issues with my enamel paints making the plastic brittle and cracking in places I decided not to submit the kit.

Although it's close to being completed, the obvious cracks in the plastic are really discouraging and I don't have much interest in finishing it. The only items left on the kit are finishing the weather wash and applying a final matte coat.


New Home New Display