Please consider supporting me by using this Amazon referral link

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Update Nycc and Gbwc



Hey guys this is just a mini status update, unfortunately tickets for this years nycc sold out before I was able to get one. So, unfortunately I will not be going to comicon this year or competing in Gbwc occurring in NYC this year. Hopefully some of you were able to score tickets before they sold out!


Thursday, June 12, 2014

General WIP Update

This is a general work in progress update for two the kits that I have been working on.

MG Freedom

Most of the frame and armor has already been painted, but halfway through the painting the white armor parts of the kit I decided that I didn't like the way some of the panel lines I scribed turned out. Instead of ordering and waiting for replacement parts I have decided to putty the lines and paint over them. Unfortunately this requires some pretty extensive reworking, and to be honest I'm rapidly losing interest in completing this kit. If I don't complete this kit within the next 2-3 weeks, I'll likely never finish it.



Painting the grey spine of each wing requires you to individually mask both parts of each large wing. To complete this detail will require masking 8 large pieces!







Decals for the MG Freedom are pretty special due to what I assume is their rarity. I've never seen a set of water slides for a kit this old before. And if the packaging is to be believed the MG Freedom would only have been the third kit to have received a set of waterslide decals from Bandai.



I may also incorporate decals from the far newer DX-03 decal set



HG Byarlant

I'm not quite sure why this terrifyingly ugly flying lobster monster of a kit is so appealing to me, but I've decided to build another. Unlike the last Byarlant, I've decided to take my time and fuse just about every seam line I could find. Doing this has required me to get creative with the way I'm modifying the kit for easy painting and reassembly.







In addition to fusing the panel lines I'm doing some minor pla-plating for added detail in some of the recesses. I am also using putty to fill the hollows in the claws, and talons. 





The color scheme on the kit is going to be the stock sky and navy blue scheme from the anime, and I've also procured a GD-06 Gundam Unicorn decal sheet which includes the decals EFF (Earth Federation Forces) and TR (Torrington Base).




I haven't made up my mind yet, but I may build a Zeon remenant Marasai to display with this kit to mimic the latter part of the attack on Torrington scene from Unicorn Episode 3. If I go this route I'll weather both kits accordingly.

Friday, June 6, 2014

HGAC Wing Gundam Complete


This is another commission that I completed today. It's been a while since I've completed a high grade kit, but this was a nice change from some of the larger more involved kits I've worked on. In my opinion, the HG Wing is the best looking version of the classic Wing Gundam, mostly due to the proportions in the waist and torso.

This build was fairly straight forward. I made some minor modifications to hide gaps and seams using putty and pla-plate. However the painting was fairly involved to pick out the details in the chest, head and other areas.


Monday, June 2, 2014

HG Wing Weekend wip


I haven't done a weekend wip in quite a while, but I made solid progress on a commission kit this weekend that I though I would share. 


At this point nearly all of the painting is complete. Most of the small details like the head vulcans, head camera, chest vulcans, chest vent interiors, and leg vents were hand painted using brushes, tooth picks and fine modeling cotton buds. Having large hands I find working at this scale to be rather challenging (the primary reason I prefer 1/100 and larger kits).


I painted the interior of the rear skirt grey to match the 'internal' waist pieces.


The green sensor at the nose of the shield was difficult to mask due to the curved shape of the design, and unlike the MG it was not removable. It was painted with a base coat of Starbright silver with several layers of Tamiya clear green over tip. I used the same color combo for the eyes.


The interior of the shield was painted with neutral grey for added color separation.


A few other points of note:

The pads of the feet were painted grey. 

The tops of the feet had extra detail added through masking.

The interior of the knee guards were painted grey.

The large vents on the shoulders were reverse washed with black enamel.