MG SYSTEM ∀-99 ∀ Gundam


Introduction:

I received the Turn A Gundam as a gift from redditor u/graymulligan. This was the final kit in the last of ‘gift builds’ that I wanted to finish in January!

I hate to admit it, but I’ve never made it past the 2nd or 3rd episode of the Turn A Gundam anime. I have a few friends that are die-hard fans of the series, but it still hasn’t ‘clicked’ for me. As such I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen the Turn A Gundam on screen.
The A Gundam or Turn A Gundam was design by Syd Mead. If you’re a fan of sci-fi from the 70s, 80s and 90s you’re probably very familiar with Mr. Mead’s body of work.

Kit Talk:

The design of the Turn A Gundam is… weird. And so, I decided that I was going to do something pretty different from my normal paint process.

I created pearl colors for each of the armor colors. The mixtures are below:

White: Gaia Color Ultimate White & Mr. Crystal Color Diamond Silver 1:1
Yellow: Gaia Color Sunshine Yellow & Mr. Crystal Color Diamond Silver 1:1
Blue: Gaia Color Cobalt Blue & Mr. Crystal Color Amethyst Blue 1:1
Red: Gaia Color Bright Red & Mr. Crystal Color Diamond Ruby 1:1
Light Gray Gaia Color Neutral Gray #1 & Mr. Color Super Metallic Superfine Silver ¾:¼
Grey Frame: Gaia Color Neutral Gray #4, Gaia Color Gun Metal & Gaia color Black 1:1:a pinch

All of these colors are raw, I haven’t top coated anything to preserve the pearl effect of the paint. I’ll admit that the colors aren’t as ‘punchy’ as I originally hoped. A final topcoat of each respective pearl color would probably have enhanced the effect further.

Overall I really like the pearly metallic finish present throughout the color scheme of the kit.

If you like my content and you’d like to support me, considering purchasing this kit (or anything else) using the Amazon links found on my site! Every purchase you makes helps me out considerably, and it does not cost you a dime!
 
Photos:







































Comments

Post a Comment