1/48 Unicorn Head Display


This is the 4th 1/48 Unicorn head I've completed (counting the Banshee version). I really like these head kits. And I hope some day Bandai releases a line of heads or busts. This is the first part of a 2 part build. I purchased this kit in a combo with the HG Unicorn (Unicorn mode) model. You can still purchase official versions these 1/48 models at a fair price by purchasing these combo kits.

Kit Talk:

This model comes molded in two colors, solid white and clear psycho frame red. This also means there's a bit of masking that needs to be done to get all of the colors right.

Masking the collar area is the most taxing part of this build, as there are many small variations and elevations that need to be masked. The V-fin is also a bit of a hassle because of the three colors required and the geometry involved.

I painted the previous 1/48 Unicorn model with a green psycho frame for the "awakened" mode. But I wanted a more classic look for this build. I also varied the eye color on this version. I had previously used an emerald green color, but for this build I wanted the eyes to be a bright yellow; I keep the sensors in the front and back of the head green.

Unlike previous builds I used a panel line chisel to enhance the lines on the face of the Unicorn. On previous builds I noticed this area tended to be shallow, and it didn't hold the panel lining well.

Overall I've very happy with the way the kit turned out. It's much cleaner than the previous 1/48 heads I completed. And it will look great as a stand for the HG Unicorn that will be coming soon!

If you like my work and would like to help me out consider purchasing this and other kits from Amazon using this link or others featured on my site. Every purchase helps me out considerably and it doesn't cost you a dime!

 



Photos

360 Destroy Mode









360 Unicorn Mode

The transformation is very similar the MG version. Unfortunately like all version of the Unicorn the V fin doesn't quite stay together,









Unicorn and Frenemies 





The split horn



Comments