Painted and Complete Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon


Introduction:

Back when I was about 5 years old, I saw Star Wars for the first time. For many years after, it would be my go-to movie whenever I: visited cousins, was home sick, or at a sleepover. It’s a film series that helped to cultivate my love of science fiction and later scale modeling.

I won't claim that the Model kit Bandai produced is a perfect replica for the filming models created for the original Star Wars movie in the 1970s. And, I'm sure there are members of the RPF working hard to dissect and modify the kit to have it perfectly match the filming model. Having an exact replica of the filming model doesn't really matter to me. I'm just happy to have this huge beautiful model in my collection.

Kit Talk: 

The 1/72 scale of this kit is unsurprisingly massive; but, I was still surprised when I unboxed the massive upper hull pieces. The completed kit measures about 18 inches long and 14 inches across. The build features a layered structure, a LED lighting system and optional parts to display the kit in a 'landed' position.

Like all of the Star Wars models I have produced; I won't claim that this is a screen accurate recreation of the Millennium Falcon. Having a model that is 100% accurate doesn't really matter to me, I'm perfectly happy that the finished results of this build accurately matches the mental image that I have of this iconic space ship.

I covered some aspects of this build in more detail in the two work in progress posts that proceeded this one. If you want to see how I built and painted this kit in detail you can find posts at the links below:

WIP 1 Planning and Building

WIP 2 Painting and Masking

If you like my work and would like to help me out, consider purchasing this and other kits from Amazon using this link or others featured on my site. Every purchase helps me out considerably and it doesn't cost you a dime! 
 

Photos:













The large scale of this kit made photo graphing the entire kit difficult.

The Millennium Falcon is not a clean pristine space ship.


The Millennium Falcon may have made the 'Kessel Run' in less than 12 parsecs, but why hasn't he made it to the 'space ship wash' yet?




All of the hull panels were masked and painted. Salt chipping and other techniques were used to weather the kit.


I chose to feature the crew as they left Tatooine; Han, Chewie, Obi-Wan and Luke.



Leia and C3P0 are also included with the kit, but not featured in this build.


The detail of the outer hull is exquisite. many small parts make up each section.



The recessed access panels featured around the kit are fully detailed as well.



With the sensor dish removed you can see the patchwork hull more clearly.






Apologies for the bathmat, however there is no way to display the kit upside down otherwise.


Look at all that space grime!





The 'drive safely' decal may be my favorite easter egg featured on the original model.

















Comments