Perfect Grade Unicorn Final Battle Version [Full Armor]


Introduction:

It's over, it's finally, definitely, totally, 100% finished this time! This build is the synthesis of the P-Bandai PG Unicorn [Final Battle Version] and the P-Bandai Full Armor Unit. As one would expect of P-Bandai, both of these kits are stupidly expensive and difficult to source (depending on when you're looking). And, I can only assume Bandai will eventually release their own version of this build eventually (because, why wouldn't they? Unicorn variants literally print money).

I have a love-hate relationship with the Perfect Grade series. I love the idea of this series. Each kit feels like a celebration, and completing one makes me feel like I have my own 1:1 Gundam in my living room. But, in reality, I hate how long it takes me to build them, not to mention the utter soul-crushing terror when I break something...

I love this kit, and I'll never build one again.


Kit Talk:

If you want to get some background on the base model you can take a look at the two prior PG Unicorn posts for more information.

The Full Armor Unit includes the following parts:
  • One Bazooka
  • Two shields
  • Two leg-mounted grenade racks
  • Two backpack-mounted grenade racks
  • Two backpack-mounted missile pods  
  • Two external fuel tanks
  • Two kickstands for the fuel tanks
  • Four gatling cannons
  • At a backpack/support system to mount everything
Since I had already painted the extra gatling cannons and shields for the base Unicorn this build actually didn't take too long. 

The fuel tanks are the single largest elements of any build to date. I used a pair of large quick grip style clamps to hold the pieces during painting, and my bench vise to hold them while drying. Decaling these elements was also challenging as all the decals needed to be kept parallel or perpendicular to existing panels on the tanks. The solution I came up with is cataloged in patron exclusive video, so check that out if you're already a patron, or sign up if you'd like to gain that and other benefits.

Oh, and for those curious. Photographing this kit was a nightmare for my tiny setup, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I had to use a wide-angle 10-24mm to get everything into the frame.


Photos:

There aren't many, sorry this thing is huge, and a brick. 











Comments