Real Grade Unicorn Gundam Kit Review


When the Real Grade Unicorn was first released I heard a lot of good things from a lot of different people. And, for a while I just chalked that sentiment up to it being a new kit and people being excited; so I put the purchase off for a while. After picking the kit up and building it myself, I was pleasantly surprised that the kit did indeed live up to the hype.


When you crack your RG box open for the first time, the first thing that will jump out at you is probably going to be the Advanced MS Joint runner. This runner features hunks of clear pink psycho frame injected alongside the more typical grey runner material. After building the RG Sinanju last year, I was happy to see that the RG Unicorn didn't rely on reusing another existing frame. Including the Advanced MS Joint runner you will find 10 runners packed into this box, including a full runner of psycho frame, two shades of white, two shades of blue, grey and beam effect parts. This kit runs about $35-40 depending on the seller; it's a bit more expensive than other RG kits, but you definitely get your money's worth in my opinion.

Hit the bump for the full review!


If you'd like to support me and blog, consider purchasing this kit from this or the other Amazon links on the site! Every purchase helps me out tremendously, and it doesn't cost you a dime!




This kit builds traditionally, you are directed to work on each limb until completion. This is unlike the recently reviewed RG Qan[t] with it's skeletal preamble. Despite this, the RG Unicorn does have a fairly robust inner frame design, and it's worth showing off if you have the inclination. The exterior armor is also nicely detailed, it takes some, but not all design cues from the 1:1 Unicorn Gundam currently in Odaiba at Gundam Front Tokyo. Compared to the other model versions of the Unicorn, the RG looks a bit beefier with larger blockier shoulders and more proportionately sized legs.


As I assemble the RG Unicorn, I focused on the interconnection of the static and dynamic elements of the armor and frame. Like the MG and PG versions of the Unicorn, this kit is definitely designed as a transformable mobile suit first. It's hard to resist transforming parts of the kit even in its most incomplete stage.

As I built, I felt like I was building up to something that was great than the sum of its parts. Many kits I would describe most of the kits I have built as having a decent build, not bad but also not memorable. The RG Unicorn's build would better be described as 'exciting', I could not wait to get this kit together!


As good as the mobile suit was, I did have a few tiny nitpicks about the weapons. Both the Beam Magnum and the Hyper Bazooka feature some unfortunate seamlines, I would have preferred construction more similar to the PG Unicorn's weapons to avoid this. These seams are not insurmountable, rather just an unfortunate way to conclude an otherwise perfect build.

My only recommendation for this build is that you should track down a set of the HG Unicorn waterslide decals, the Ver. Ka scheme just looks better than the one created for the RG.


Back when I first posted the completed build I mentioned that the RG had made the HG and MG versions obsolete. I still 100% agree with this opinion, I might also include the PG into that statement.  Don't get me wrong, the PG Unicorn is a sight to behold, and nothing quite prepares you for its massiveness. But, at the end of the day, the RG has just as much detail, it pulls the transformation off better, and it's a fifth of the price too.

If I could only have one Unicorn on my shelf, this would be the one to have. The RG Banshee is out now, and I would expect more standard and limited versions will follow so pick your favorite color and start building.

Get one, build it and then tell me all about your build experience below!



Comments