MG Victory 2 Gundam Ver. Ka


Introduction:

I'll admit that sometimes I buy kits just because they're on sale. At times that has become a bad habit and has been responsible for the bloat of my backlog. This is something that I have gotten better about, but the MG Victory 2 Ver Ka is a good example. Building and painting kits that I have no connection too often results in some interesting outcomes as I do not feel compelled to capture the stock design.

The MG Victory Gundam is another example of Bandai building a design around a gimmick. In this case the Victory is able to separate itself to large upper and lower body core fighter components. And, like other transforming master grade designs, this mobile suit sacrifices detail, stability, and articulation to pull off this transformation. It's not quite as bad as the MG Delta Plus, but it certainly leaves something to be desired.

In general, I don't care of transforming gimmicks, I don't transform my kits because I don't want to scratch up my painted job.

Kit Talk:

The first thing you might notice about my rendition of this kit is the customized color scheme. What you may not notice are the panel lines I re-scribed throughout the build. I chose to apply the custom color scheme because I thought the base design was too bland. Adding a gentle gradient to the core fighter was a simple way to spice things up. It was also good practice for the design of the fin funnels on the upcoming (in my backlog() MG Hi-Nu Gundam.

Unlike most of my kits (99% of them) I opted to use a semi-gloss top coat instead of a completely matte version. I think that the semi-gloss works well on a clean built and streamlined design like the MG Victory 2. I may continue to use this type of topcoat on upcoming kits like the RG Quanta or MG Freedom 2.0 in my backlog.

The most frustrating element of this entire kit was the red round details on the elbows. In my opinion, these parts should have been molded in color and separate from the armor. Because they were not they were an absolute nightmare to mask and paint. I also attempted reverse washing and hand brushing these elements with very limited success.

If you're interested in picking up this or other kits consider purchasing through the Amazon links on my site. Every purchase you make helps me out tremendously and doesn't cost you a dime!


New Photos:




























Old Photos:

Regrettably, the Nikon D3200 that I use to photograph my kits is currently being repaired by the manufacturer. I am also in between photo setups at the moment, hopefully, I will have a build log together on the new setup soon. All of these photos were taken with a borrowed camera that I'm not very familiar with; consider these photos to be placeholders until I can get back to my normal gear.





































Comments