MG Nu Gundam Ver. Ka


Intro:

Every Gunpla builder should be familiar with the RX-93 Nu Gundam ver. Ka by now; because partially everyone and their dog have built this kit, and there are some really good examples floating around on the web. Unfortunately, my Nu has languished in my backlog far longer than it should have. My then-girlfriend (now fiancé) purchased this kit for me the month it was released as a Christmas gift. She's been teasing me ever since because I had left it on my shelf untouched for such a long time. I'll admit that I pushed this kit off because I didn't feel like I was prepared for it; I only started to feel comfortable with the idea of tackling it once I completed the MG RX 78-2 3.0.

Kit talk:


The "A" stand is actually the first part of this build that I completed. It was painted with several layers of gloss red followed by several layers of clear red. I buffed between layers for a more reflective finish.


I spent a lot of time planning and thinking about this kit before I committed to doing anything. The primary change I made to the kit involved the color scheme. I didn't care for the large swatches of gray around the knees, thighs, front skirts, and tops of the shoulders. I instead opted for smaller and more numerous patches of the light grey color. Making these changes to the color scheme required minor modification in the form of scribing.


Like a lot of my builds, I used paint to pull detail out of different areas. Specifically the indents on the shoulders and upper arms.

This is the first time I have used Mr. Crystal Color paint,  It's only applied to the green psycho frame components. If you haven't heard of this paint it's a Gunze Mr. Color product that has an almost translucent color-shifting pearl appearance. It's a nice mild effect and I'll likely incorporate it into my future builds.


I integrated many option parts from Bandai and Kotobukiya to add detail to the thrusters, feet, arms, and joints of the model. 


I really like how the lens kit from Bandai can be used to add extra psycho-frame like detail into the shoulder joint. On the backside of this joint I inserted the smallest inner detail from the 1/144 vernier builders parts kit.

Overall I am very pleased with how this kit turned out, it easily one of the top all-time build experiences.

Photos:

Normal Mode


















Awakened mode: 



























Normal mode on a stand:









Action Poses




















Detail Photos:














Group Photos:






Comments