MG Sandrock commission build complete!


This kit is for our buddy Joe, owner of modelgrade.net. I offered to do this kit as a freebie for Joe. I already know he's an accomplished modeler, but it never hurts to have a few extra example kits to take to trade shows!

Like a lot of gunpla fans in their 20s my first exposure to the Gundam universe was Gundam Wing which aired on Toonami during the late 90s early 2000s. So it's not a surprise that the wing designs still hit all the right nostalgia buttons for me. Now that the Sandrock is complete I have built/painted 4 out of 5 of the original 'boy band' kits. The Shenlong is the only one I haven't yet started (but it's in my backlog).

I mostly stuck with the stock color scheme, but I did make a few changes. The backpack and sword holsters were repainted with the dark blue in lieu of the grayish purple. I also painted the 'heat effect' beam sabers in a variety of oranges and yellows to create a gradient. This heat gradient is more subtle than the one used on the Ramba Ral's Zaku II.   

Colors:

Dark Blue (Feet, chest, backpack, cuffs)
95% Banshee blue (50% blue, 30% black and 20% purple)
5% White

Greyish Purple (Skirt detail, etc)
80% Blitz Purple (80% midnight blue, 20% hibiscus pink, 10% white)
20% Light Grey

Golden Yellow (Fin, crest, skirt detail, etc)
90% Lemon Yellow
10% Bright Orange

White
100% White

Grey
100% Medium Grey

Green Metallic
100% clear green over 100% star bright duralinium

Red Metallic
100% clear red over 100% star bright duralinium

Photos:



















Pose:

Normally I won't pose a client's kit at all to preserve the paint. But one pose won't hurt!











Detail:





Comments