New Years Resolution: 2016 is the year I end my backlog



"The things you own end up owning you." -Chuck Palahniuk

When I got back into Gunpla in late 2011 I was in a very different place in my life. I had a full time job, and I was working on my masters degree. Most of the money I did make was used to pay for my education or just my cost of living. At the time I found it unbelievable that some builders had closets full of backlogged kits. While I was barely able to scrape the money together to purchase one MG kit or some paint every month or so.

Fast forward almost 5 years and I'm much better off; but, I've found myself falling into the backlog trap. This is the year I've decided to break that habit. 

Beginning January 1st, until my backlog is gone I won't be doing any of the following:

Purchasing kits
Accepting commission work
Purchasing decals for kits I don't already own (decals are my gateway drug)
Pre-ordering P-Bandai releases

Here's my current backlog

In order from oldest to newest purchase date: 

MG Nu ver. ka 12/2012 (built)
MG Sazabi ver. Ka 12/2013
MG Exia R2 2/2014 (built)
Metal Gear Rex black version 9/2014
35th Anniversary Char Zaku Head 1/2015
Star Wars Y Wing 9/2015 (built)
Star Wars Snow Speeder 9/2015 (built)
Star Wars X Wing 9/2015 (built)

Optional: (I haven't decided if I'm keeping or selling these kits yet)

PG Astray Red Frame 10/2015
PG 00 Raiser 6/2014 and again on 12/2015 (long story)

I'm not limiting myself to building this kits in a certain order.

Once I've cleared out my backlog my hope is that I can be a little more spontaneous and current with the kits I'm purchasing and building. There were a lot of new releases in 2015 that I really wanted to build, but just couldn't justify picking up because of the kits already sitting on my shelf.

Comments