Review MSG: The Origin volume 1: Activation


Not your typical review

This going to be a little out of place on my gunpla blog, but I think this manga deserves a review here. Normally I wouldn't consider reviewing any thing other than models, tools and paint here; so that should show you just how excited I am to get my hands on a copy of this book! You can order a copy from Amazon today!



So what is Gundam the Origin? 

Gundam the Origin is a retelling of the original 0079 Gundam series. The story has been altered, and the designs of some of the mobile suits have also been changed.The changes so far are minor, so if you still haven't seen the original 0079 series this is a great way to get into the UC Gundam Universe. Bandai has also been hinting at an eventual Gundam the Origin TV series to be released sometime in 2014!


About the Book


Written by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Yoshiyuki Tomino and Hajime Yatate; and mechanical design by Kumo Okawara.Gundam the Origin is 456 pages in length, and weighs an impressive 2.1 pounds. The book is hard covered and it reads from right to left. Also a neat additional feature is a short essay by Hideaki Anno director of Neon Genesis Evangelion celebrating the revival of Gundam.  


Gundam the Origin volume 1 follows the story of Amuro and the prototype RX-78 02 Gundam mobile suit. Volume 1 covers the story of roughly the first five or six episodes of the original TV series. Basically everything up until the Whitebase returns to earth.


Gundam the Origin is a very fast read. I consider myself to only be a moderately paced reader, however I still managed to read the first 200 pages in about an hour. This is due mostly to the fantastic translation by publisher Vertical. 

The best part about this book is definitely the art. Just check out the detail in this line art!




Talk to the hand?





But wait it gets much better! The water colored pages are amazing!



If this isn't one of the greatest rivalries out there, I don't know what is.



So overall on my scale (yes I may be a tad bit generous)

Quality: 10/10
Story: 9.5/10
Translation 9/10
Artwork 10/10 

Where can I get it, and how much is it? 


This manga is currently available from Amazon.com, and it only costs $16.45! I highly recommend picking up a copy. 


Gundam the Origin is a fantastic story with amazing art work, and by purchasing a copy it encourages Bandai, Sunrise and all the other companies to continue bringing, Gundam and Gunpla to the US! 

Also linked below are pre-order links for the next three mangas in the series. Volume 2 is scheduled to be released in June 2013, volume 3 in September 2013 and volume 4 in December 2013. I have already pre-ordered a copy of each!   



 

Comments