MG MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki 2.0


Introduction:

The MG Hyaku Shiki 2.0 is one of my favorite models of the last few years. It nails absolutely all of the fundamentals of good model design. The proportions look great, the detail is just right, the design pulls similar elements from the MG Nu Gundam Ver. Ka and honestly the pre-painted gold doesn’t look awful. That didn’t stop me from stripping it and repainting it, but I think most people would be satisfied with the color right out of the box.

This kit was actually a gift from the 2017 R/Gunpla Secret Santa. I regret taking so long to finish this build. So a belated thank you goes out to u/captplanetz who generously provided this kit to me during the gift exchange.

This is my first build of 2019, Happy New Year! The bright (borderline gaudy) gold and silver feel appropriately celebratory. Here’s to another year of cranking out little plastic robots!


Kit Talk:

I really want to emphasize that the gold on this kit was fully stripped and repainted. I made an effort to source a bottle of Mr. Color’s Gundam Color XUG 06 Hyaku Shiki-Gold. I really love the finish of this paint, and it may actually be my go-to gold from here on out. The metal flake in this gold is very finely ground, and very similar in consistency to their line of Super Metallic paints.
In addition to the gold here are the other colors I used:


Gaia Colors

Inner Frame: neutral gray IV + black
Red Pipes & Feet: bright red + pinch of ultra blue
Chest & Backpack: ultra blue + midnight blue + grey-blue
Weapons: neutral gray IV + black + gunmetal
Silver Details: star bright duralumin
Eyes: scarlet

Mr. Color 

Gold Armor: Gundam Color Hyaku Shiki-Gold
Sensors: Base coat of Super Metallic silver, Overcoat of clear green and tourmaline green

Decals for this kit were sourced from a 3rd party decal set available on eBay. The overall quality is just ‘okay’. The large decals are well detailed, properly spelled and the small writing is legible. The finer ‘caution’ decals are incomplete, inconsistent and generally just not great. The AG Argama decal on the wing binder was the only decal sourced from an official Bandai set (Zeta & ZZ Multiuse).

Overall this was a pretty simple build. I wanted to contrast the bright raw colors of the metallic against the flatter colors of the red blue and gray. I used hand brushing to paint the silver joints between the red pipes on the backpack and knees as well as a few other small details.

I, unfortunately, lost a few pieces like the hand inserts to the beam sabers and the silver details above the knuckles. I built this kit while still living in New York, and it doesn’t look like those parts made it to the Texas Colony...

If you like my content and you’d like to support me, considering purchasing this kit (or anything else) using the Amazon links found on my site! Every purchase you makes helps me out considerably, and it does not cost you a dime!




Photos:

























The silver details between the red power cords were hand painted using Vallejo's silver. 
















Comments

  1. Did you use a gloss coat for the gold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the gold is the raw finish of XUG 06 Hyaku Shiki-Gold

      Delete

Post a Comment