Astray Bro Build Paint Testing





Justin has been hard at work testing out his paints and pre-shading combination. I have also decided to give pre-shading a whirl,  but I'm not entirely in love with the pre-shaded look.

Here are some test pieces using various paint colors for the shading:

Medium Grey:


Bright Red:


Black:


Here's something neat I did with a candy paint. I used silver as the base and gunmetal for shading. Then I covered the entire piece with several layers of transparent red.


The Medium Grey shaded piece is my favorite, but it's also the most subtle of the three white shaded parts. I've mentioned before that I'm not a fan of pre-shading; only time will tell if I start to incorporate the style into my kits.

Comments

  1. Dan...that red piece looks amazing o.o you're already wrecking me in every aspect of this build-off haha. looking awesome man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a fan of the pre-shaded/post shaded look. It is interesting from an aesthetic point of view, as a stylized choice, but I'm more interested in making my kits look like scale models; As close to the 'real thing' as possible.

    One of the things I am trying hard to figure out is how to make a Gundam model look large in photographs. I find that pre/post shading reduces the perceived scale of the kits, by increasing the look of occlusion between the pieces. The 1:1 Scale Gundam is great reference:

    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/090612-gundam-g31.jpg

    I really don't see anything resembling the heavy shading I see on some kits. Again, it's a different style and looks interesting, but is not what I am trying for right now with my kits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment