New Photo Setup

Since starting Gunpla by Goodguydan photographing my kits has become really important. However photographing my kits has also been really problematic because I hadn't found a photo setup that worked for me. After some prodding from more skilled/knowledgeable photographers I decided to pick up a soft light box. I purchased this soft light box from Amazon.com. 

I purchased this light box for four reasons.
  • It was cheap ($35), so if it didn't work out; I wouldn't be out too much money.
  • It's collapsable
  • It's very large; this is the 30 inch version
  • I could get it quickly with Amazon Prime
This is how it came packed. The black case is maybe the diameter or a basket ball. It comes packed with four different colored backdrops: black, white, blue and red. 


Hit the jump for the setup and photos.


Here's how my setup looks with the new soft box. I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what I'm doing...


I'm using 8 60W light bulbs with the soft box: 5 on a stand behind the box, 1 on either side of the box and one just below the light box. I setup a glass shelf as the base of the soft box.



Believe it or not that's the PG Strike + Aile Pack in the box. You could probably fit two PG Strike Freedoms completely stretched out in Extreme Burst Mode without a problem!



Here are some comparison photos taken using my old setup and with the new box. 

Before




After


Before


After



The soft light box practically eliminates blown out surfaces on glossy paint.

Before




After



Before


After


Before


After


Before


After


Before


After


Before

 
After


Before 


After


Before

After




Overall I'm pretty happy with the new setup. I still need to find a less creased background; but otherwise I think the light box provides a better environment for photographing my completed kits.


Comments